Tuesday, March 2, 2010

My grandma.


Grandma.
What do you think of when you hear that 1 word. What emotion does the memories you have with your grandma stir in you?
When I think of my Grandma, i feel my heart swell with love and admiration for a woman who lived a very long, lovely life. She gave to others, and loved so many. I could only hope that one day I could live up to her legacy.I also think of hot scones and story books. Making crafts and sewing. Learning to read and attempting to learn some math. I was the youngest grandchild. And I felt like she was my grandma alone. But when you talk to all of her other grandchildren, they also think they were her favorite. What a trait to have, to be able to love so many. And to make them feel like they are special. Here is my favorite link about my grandma. She was a wonderful woman. I will miss her dearly.
http://allen-price.blogspot.com/2009/06/love-story.html







Mary Magdalene Pace Allen 1913 ~ 2010 Mary Magdalene Pace Allen, age 96, passed away February 28, 2010, due to natural causes.Maggie was born to James Byrum Pace and Adeline Savage on September 9, 1913, in Woodruff, AZ. All of her great-grandparents participated in the Mormon Exodus from Nauvoo, Illinois to Salt Lake City, Utah. Called to serve, they later pioneered northern Arizona. She was one of 10 children. She graduated from Snowflake High School at 16 and went to college in Flagstaff to pursue a career in teaching. Her first assignment was in a one-room schoolhouse in Woodruff, AZ. In her career, she taught every grade. She continued in the profession for 37 years teaching through the Great Depression, World War II, in several communities in Arizona before settling in the Mesa School District. She taught about 1200 students. After retiring from teaching she moved to St. Johns, AZ. where she enjoyed community service and many friends and family there. She met her husband, Gove L. Allen of Mesa, AZ, while they were both attending college to become educators. They were married in the Mesa LDS Temple in 1933. They had four children, Gove L. Jr., Gary B., Mary JaNeanne, and Loren P. They spent summers with their children in Greeley, Colorado while obtaining Masters Degrees. Gove Sr. died in 1951. She was known for her sharp intellect, vivid memory, strong sense of family, strong work ethic, integrity and creativity. She was especially talented in writing and sewing. She blessed many lives with her exceptional creative talents. She was an active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints all of her life and a dedicated church worker including, teaching, Stake Junior Sunday School Coordinator, YW Presidency. Maggie was residing with her daughter JaNeanne in Salt Lake City for the past four years. While there, she produced nearly 2,000 quilt tops for the LDS Humanitarian Center. She was preceded in death by her parents, husband Gove L. Allen, son, Gary Allen (Pam), grandsons Jeremy and Peter Allen, siblings Wilson, Beth Elledge, Glen, Ruth Bowers, Marion Fields, Paul, Lincoln, and Jimmy. She is survived by sister Gwendolyn Udall (Keith), sisters-in-law Mary A. Hardison, Henrietta Allen, Lois P. Allen, children, Gove L. Allen Jr. (Mary), JaNeanne A. Webster (Jim), Loren Pace Allen (Sandy). Maggie leaves behind 24 grandchildren, 63 great-grandchildren and 24 great great-grandchildren, and many nieces and nephews who she knew and loved. A memorial service/viewing will be held Wednesday, March 3rd at 6:30 p.m. in the Larkin Mortuary Chapel, 260 E. South Temple, Salt Lake City. Funeral services will be held Saturday, March 6th at 10 a.m. in the old 2nd Ward building at 15 West 1st Ave in Mesa, AZ. Family will receive friends one hour prior to service. Interment, Mesa City Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, contributions can be made to the LDS Perpetual Education Fund.


2 comments:

Lindsey Mosbarger said...

She sounds like an amazing person! I am sorry for your family's loss.

Grandma Sandy said...

What a sweet tribute. Can you bring your camera next time you come over and download funeral pictures?

My Blog List

About Me

My photo
I always had aspirations to make it big. Learn French. Move to Paris- for good. Instead, I met my soul mate, and our two lives became one. We decided to make it small, and moved to a little city. The inspiration for this blog came to me, while I was driving on an old country road with the top down and my man at the wheel. As the fields flew by, and the the Wasatch Mountains glowed in the Sunset. I realized that I may never be able to speak French and I will never move to Paris but I had made it big after all. This blog is dedicated to all the little things that make small town living beautiful.